what is beacon?
A place of light where Gods light shines. We aim to be a safe, welcoming and friendly space. We offer a service where guests can enjoy a meal and some activities in a relaxing and comfortable environment.
who is it for?
Anyone is welcome as a guest or a volunteer.
Guests are those who might feel socially excluded, have addiction or mental health concerns or who may be living in temporary accommodation.
Volunteers are invited to assist in serving the guests after a short induction on Beacon principles.
when is it?
Every Thursday 6:30pm til 9pm (50 weeks in the year).
what goes on?
Activities and services at a typical Beacon evening include:
– a hot meal (soup and main course)
– friendly conversation at the meal table
– a pool table is available
– haircutting is sometimes provided
– a selection of donated clothes is often on hand for anyone who can make good use of them
– rolls and cakes provided by a local bakery are usually available to take away
– basic ’emergency’ food packs can be provided in times of crisis
– a time of worship led by the Beacon team
– a short talk/discussion on a variety of interesting topics from a guest speaker